Sunday, September 14, 2014

Day 12: All The World's a Stage

I'm writing this rejection a couple days late because... well I have no excuse. I was lazy and then busy. But I did get rejected on Friday in perhaps the best way yet.

I had an audition to prepare for and was on a tight schedule to learn my sides and do the homework. In fact I had only about an hour before I had to go put it on tape. So I took a lunch break at Octane once again -- Octane seems to be THE place to have a great rejection experience -- audition sides in hand, ordered my usual salad and sat down to work. Then it occurred to me that this would provide a good "in" with someone or other to get rejected. I glanced around the room and settled on a group of three strangers sitting directly in front of me engaged in conversation.

"Excuse me," I said as I approached. "You look kind of busy but I was wondering if you would help me run some lines? I have an audition later today and not much time to learn my part." At first they hesitated, and the young man in the group said that they were actually about to leave soon so they probably couldn't help me. I said that's ok no problem, but then one of the girls sitting in the huddle said "Well I don't know, it's ok, we can help," and mentioned that she has done a little bit of acting herself. She was very cheery. The third person, a very pregnant young lady, looked mildly annoyed at the entire exchange and didn't say much but her companions became increasingly enthusiastic about the whole thing. So, I grabbed my script, gave them a copy and we ran through it a couple of times. It was actually fun! I thanked them several times when we were done (I really was grateful!), went back to my table and thought "That was awesome! Now what?"

They left and I regrouped. Ate some salad, read my sides a bunch more times, looked around the room again. Repeat. Finally I settled on two young ladies that I thought would surely reject me. They were busy talking, had their laptops open-- definitely occupied with other matters. So I approached them, and asked again "Excuse me, I hope I'm not bothering you but would you be willing to help me run some lines..." One of the young ladies got up and walked away because she was on the phone and wanted to have a private conversation. I looked at the other one and said "I think I just scared your friend away!" but she was warm and friendly and assured me that I wasn't intruding. "Sure I'd be happy to help you out! That sounds interesting!" Um, ok, I asked if she was sure because she looked really busy? "Oh no this is nothing" pointing to the spread of personal effects on the table, then chirped "It's no problem!" She was so freaking pleasant I actually felt bad for bothering them. But again I ran back to my table, grabbed my script, handed her a copy and we did the scene. When we were done we introduced ourselves and shook hands. I thanked her several times again and went back to my table.

By now I've got my audition down pat but I still haven't gotten rejected. But I've gotta get the hell out of there now to get to my taping appointment. Alas, maybe this wasn't the place my rejection was going to go down. Maybe I had to try again later. So I packed up and started out the door.

Heading out I noticed a young lady sitting alone at a table, buried in her phone texting, with a puss on her face. I don't know what came over me but the words started pouring out of my mouth almost involuntarily. I swear it wasn't me talking, but I was saying the words. "You look sad." I stopped at her side and remarked. She looked up as if to say "who the hell are you?" "No I'm fine, I'm ok." Awkward smile, look back down. "Ok. I just thought you looked really sad. Do you want me to give you a hug?" I asked, smiling ear to ear. "No no. I'm fine, thanks." she said, clearly wanting to be left alone. "Ok," I said, "I hope you feel better!" and hurried out the door. Then the aliens left my body and I retained all memories of what had just transpired.

That kind of thing... is not me. I just don't approach people like that. Even considering it makes me feel nervous and shaky. The prospect of humiliation stops me in my tracks.  But for this challenge, I'm finding that the less I think about it, the more able I am to do these things that are totally outside my comfort zone. I didn't believe I just said that to the girl sitting there, but I was in a hurry to leave and therefore didn't give myself a chance to fail. I went for it before any second thoughts could prevent me. And it worked.

If I ever complain about having to find someone to run lines with in the future, I am going to shut my trap and go to Octane. Clearly, that is the place to be if you need to rehearse your audition.





No comments:

Post a Comment