Monday, September 15, 2014

Day 14: The Fayre, and the Policeman revisited

Sunday I was in Whole Foods doing some weekly grocery shopping. I was feeling pooped out from the weekend and not really in the mood to create a memorable rejection. But as I was picking out some peppers I noticed a stockist - is that even the right title? the person who puts the vegetables and fruits out on display in the store - replenishing some veggies near me. He seemed friendly so I asked him if he'd give me a ride on his cart.

He laughed, a shy but happy laugh and with a very heavy Southern accent said "I don't know if they'd let me do that.  But, I'm going to the fayre (spelling used for emphasis on the accent) and I'm sure I'll go on some rides there!"

"Well that won't do me any good," I said. "Tell you what, you  have a blast at the fair, but if they ever let you give rides to the customers on your cart, I want one!" He seemed really tickled at this whole exchange and I was glad to have made his night a little happier. In fact it really seemed that I could have talked him into it, and later in the evening I wished I would have pressed him harder. He might have caved. I could see myself wheeling around Whole Foods, being pushed by a shy but giddy older gentleman who didn't know what to make of me.



As a rejection bonus, when I was waiting in the checkout line a policeman came up beside me and noticed the fresh peaches I was putting on the conveyor belt. "Oooh peaches!" he exclaimed. "I'm hanging out with YOU!" So I offered him one from the carton, extending them out for him to make a selection. "No, no, I won't take one but thank you."  I reassured him it was ok but he refused again. Does that count as a rejection too? I think it does. I think I got a two-fer out of my visit to Whole Foods.

A favorite book of mine as a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment