Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Rejection #2: The only reason I left the house today

This challenge is proving to be more difficult than expected. Since I did a "remote" challenge yesterday by texting and not doing something in person, I wanted to step it up today. I went to the pool and one guy was there, but he wasn't there long enough for me to come up with something to ask him. It started raining shortly after that and I was home the rest of the day working.

I saw my neighbor outside and we chatted, but again ... I blanked.

Suddenly it's 8:30 with no rejection, just like yesterday. So, I got in my car and drove to Dunkin' Donuts. My plan was to ask the guy behind the counter if he would sing a song for me and let me record it. I totally choked. My nerves surprised me. I'm usually okay talking to strangers and approaching people, but for some reason this was different.

So, instead, I ended up with a small coffee that I didn't need. Unneeded caffeine and sugar, no good. Unnecessary spending, no good. I realized I needed more time to "amp up" to approach someone, so I went to the nearby Hudson Grille/Mellow Mushroom parking lot to look for someone outside that I could target. Sounds sketchy and that's how it felt.

I stood in front of the restaurants looking around. People came and got into their cars. I kept chickening out. I was so nervous that I could feel the blood coursing through my veins and I started feeling numb in my arms and legs. How crazy is that?!? I was shocked. I also passed on the smokers that came outside of Hudson. I told myself it was because they seemed tipsy and would probably say Yes.

Then I noticed two Mellow Mushroom workers out on the porch just shooting the shit. I thought to myself, "Okay, people bored at work, this is good." As I walked up, one of them went inside so I finally went for it. I asked the other one if he would sing me a song and let me record it.

He asked if I was serious, I said Yes. I tried to maintain my composure and not laugh like a little girl like it wasn't serious or break down and tell him why I asked. He asked what song and I said whatever he liked. He then said he was going to go get his buddy and came back with the first guy and told him what I'd asked. They asked me why I wanted it. I said, "Um, so I can watch it later and smile?"

Yes, creepy as shit. I kinda broke a little bit there and hung my head laughing and said, "That's weird, isn't it?" They readily agreed. More questions about what song. I finally said I just needed a Yes or No from the first guy. The second guy seemed pretty game, so I focused on the first. He said, "No, I don't want to do it, sorry."
Rejected!
At this point I was shaking. I then told them about the challenge. I don't know if that's against the rules. They thought it was awesome and suggested that next time I ask someone to tap dance. Adding it to the list.

If nothing else, I'm facing some fears ... apparently. Just not sure if it's precisely the fear of rejection just yet ...

5 comments:

  1. Jacki Flynn FTW!!! That was awesome! I am so proud of you for coming up with something creative! Mine today was lame. Yeah I was rejected, but it was safe.

    Gurl, it's on! You have inspired me! (Do you mind if I also use the tap dance request? We can compare notes.... just say "No" if you don't want me to, hahah!)

    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should freely steal ideas from each other :) This isn't about being creative, although it's pushing us to do that too! You can use the song as well, whatever you like.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! This at least gives me some more ideas of what I can ask of people and not be so safe in my "zone" at work. It's only Day 2 so we have lots of opportunities to stretch our comfort zone!

      Delete
  2. Jacki- You are always inspiring me! I downloaded the rejection therapy app and their suggestions are lame. -Send a stranger a friend request?! If they are like me, they already have a long list of people they don't know sitting there. Getting out of the house (for us work from homers) is key, I think. I did put it to practical use yesterday and ask a credit card company to lower my interest rate. Worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not easy. I think I need to pre-plan better. I do want to use some for personal gain, like asking Comcast for stuff ... but I'm holding onto those.

      Delete