Friday, September 5, 2014

Day 5: Can you give me a lift?

I've had a problem with one of my rear tires deflating recently. Not all the way, just some, but it's noticeable and I have to refill it every so often. Well, what I really need to do is get a new tire, but I digress....

I'm filling up my back tire today at a gas station and see an ambulance parked to the side of the building. It's running but nobody's in it. After I'm done with the fill-up I go inside to get something to drink, and coming round the front of the building I see a thin middle-aged man standing outside of the ambulance smoking. I guess he was on break? "Odd," I thought and continued inside.

When I came out he was still there, so I hesitated, thought about it once, thought about it twice, sweated a little, and then went up to him and made a completely lame joke about an ambulance driver smoking and soon he'd have to take himself to the hospital. Ha! It wasn't that funny actually. Anyway, I asked him if he could give me a lift home if my tire was deflated again because I'd been having trouble with it. He was very kind and said he would love to but he couldn't give me a ride. I said "But you can run your sirens and everything like a real emergency! It'll be fun!" That sealed it, he definitely could not give me a ride home, but he said he hoped that my car was in working order and that there would be no need for anyone to give me a ride.

And so ends Day #5. This isn't getting much easier yet, I still get shaky and nervous before approaching people. But like I noted in a previous post, I am finding it a little easier to approach strangers now that I have a very specific mission and I know what outcome I want. Amazing how that works!



No comments:

Post a Comment