Monday, September 22, 2014

(Non-)Rejections #16, 17, and 18: Kittens, hugs, and dating advice

Another catchup post, but not all the way catching up. #18 is the best if you want to skip down :)

Rejection #16: I was at the nail salon paying for both a manicure and a pedicure, both "deluxe" because that means you get a shoulder massage that goes on forever. They offered to wax my brows, which I really needed, and would save me time getting ready that night ... I saw my opportunity. I asked if they would do them for free since I was already paying for two deluxe services. They said "No."

However, this seemed to open up a new line of conversation. We ended up joking and chatting despite the difficulty understanding each other's English. (I usually don't chat much at all at the nail salon, preferring to enjoy my pampering in peace.) The older lady even gave me dating advice, "Most important is no one perfect." I totally agree.

(Non-)Rejection #17: One day I wandered to a shopping center specifically looking for rejections. I noticed it was adoption day at PetSmart! So, of course, I went to torture myself by looking at all the dogs and cats that needed homes that I couldn't take home.

Not the kitten I held, but
another one I visited inside
in the "FurKids" room.
I wanted to hold a kitten (that's actually an ever-present state-of-being for me). It was daunting for me to ask because, in my experience, there is always at least one person working these adoptions that is just ... a jerkface. "Um, I gueeeessssss, if you sanitize your hands, but be caaaaareful" *snide face* ... or something equally stupid and power-trippy. Don't get me wrong, MOST volunteers are awesome animal people and I fully respect the job they're doing whether they are awesome or not ... but I tend to find the one who is, perhaps, not a people person. Or she finds me when she sees me trying to get my dirty, rotten hands on a kitten! Egads! Today was no different.

Important info, these kittens were three months old and had all their shots, so they were well-equipped to withstand my cuddles. Anyway, I asked one volunteer if I could hold a kitten. This was my non-rejection because I was nervous to ask, but I wanted it and he said "Yes." But, like I said, I still found the jerkface when I went to actually grab a kitten and she came out of nowhere and said all huffily, "Um, you know you have to take him inside, right? So he won't get startled and run off?" Legitimate question/request, annoying delivery. I basically didn't answer and just went inside with the kitten. The end.

(Non-)Rejection #18: I decided to ask a stranger for a hug. I had to stop by a restaurant and pick something up while the restaurant was closed.

...

Oh, screw it, I had to pick up my ID at "The Local" after leaving it there for five days because I used it to "rent" darts and forgot to pick it up and then had trouble getting there during open hours over the new few days (I mean, they don't open until 5pm, ever). Yes, I can be a mess. On this particular day, I had called earlier than they open and finally got an answer ... and someone told me I could come get my ID. He sounded nice. I decided I would ask him for a hug when I got there.

When I walked into the restaurant my heart was pounding. Why do we get so nervous for such silliness? It's certainly eye opening. Then I hear him say, "Your ID is right there," gesturing to a banister right by me. He's mopping across the room and the floor is wet. Okay, this was just too much. "What if he says 'Yes' even though the floor is wet and then I have to awkwardly make my way over there or him here and, and, and ..." I couldn't deal. I took my ID and left.

I was determined to get a hug from a stranger though. At this point I really wanted the hug in addition to my checkmark for the day! I ended up asking someone outside of a Whole Foods. I crept around him for a minute, asked him a stupid question, and then got the courage to ask for a hug. He very willingly obliged. He gave me a real, solid hug and then asked quietly, "Are you okay? Do you need anything else?" It was so sweet and genuine. I said that I was good and I just really wanted a hug and he said, "Anytime." I think if I'd been having an even slightly bad day, it might have made me cry. Too bad I can't really get a hug from him "anytime."

I have now decided a few things based on this experience:

  1. Awesome people are awesome.
  2. I kinda want to ask a stranger for a hug every day.
  3. I can challenge myself more by avoiding the small talk, and also then avoid seeming creepy.

That's it for today's post, but I have more rejections to share. I will eventually catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment