Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 27: Sit, stay.

Day 27 was another low key rejection. And by "low key" I mean lame. I have gotten into this pattern of doing some really good, risky ones and then falling back on one or two half-assed rejections as a sort of recovery period. You could say it's a lot like training for a marathon. I'm not suggesting it's the best way to do this challenge, but it's kind of worked out that way.

So my 27th rejection consisted of me taking advantage of the various people in various states of frustration at the dog park one Saturday afternoon. I take one of my dogs there when I can, and this particular day there was a young man who was having some trouble keeping his pup under control. The dog was young and wasn't causing any harm. He just needed to learn some dog park etiquette. So, I went up to the guy and remarked on his situation and asked if I could work with the pup for a while and teach him to sit. I've gotten Delia to respond to the sit command almost robotically. Unfortunately I can't say the same for her with some other commands... Anyway, the guy turned me down but appreciated my offer of help. I would have totally done it too. With a few treats it only takes some patience to teach a dog to respond to certain vocabulary and it makes for a better doggie park experience! Maybe he'll take me up on it next time.

I don't know whose dog this is but I want him.

No comments:

Post a Comment